Thursday, December 10, 2009

Cinnamon Clay Ornaments

DSC_0004-2 We made cinnamon clay ornaments the other day. The kids really enjoyed making this craft. The smell in the house was heavenly! These are very easy to make and really you can use any cookie cutters to make shapes. We of course used our Christmas cookie cutters. My thought is to tie ribbons on the tops and use them as gift toppers. They would also look great on a garland.

Here is the recipe I used in case you are interested in making these with your family. These are NOT edible.

You will need:

water

cinnamon

flour

Bring 2 cups of water to a boil and remove from heat. Stir in 1 cup of cinnamon. Add 1 1/2 to 2 cups of flour, 1/2 a cup at a time, stirring constantly. Knead the last 1/2 cup of flour. The mixture should be warm, not sticky, and have the consistency of Play-Doh.

Roll out the dough and use cookie cutters to make shapes. I used a straw to make the hole on the top for the ribbon to go through. You could also use this dough to make beads. Pierce each one with a toothpick so they can be strung on to a necklace later.

Let the shapes air dry (this may take a day or two). These can also be painted after dry.

4 comments:

  1. I've been wanting to try these for a few years but have been to scared. Your's look great!
    -Crystal

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for checking out my wall flower on Lucky Star Lane! I love cinnamon ornaments. That smell is so good. I also read somewhere that cinnamon is an appetite suppressant. I think I might need more cinnamon :)

    Thanks again for commenting. Hope you keep stopping by!

    -Heather

    ReplyDelete
  3. We make these every year and my kids love them! I am going to feature this so I can have it archived! Thanks for linking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment. I love this idea, I will definitely try this one. Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...